PAST PROJECTS & ACTIVITIES
- 2015 -2016 - Following an agricultural technical audit in mid 2015, I am working as Agricultural Advisor/Interim Head of Agriculture for a new Oil Palm plantation operation in Mindinao, Southern Philippines.
- 2013 - 2014 - As Director Biomass and Logistics with Cummins Cogeneration Ltd was involved in planning, procurement and commissioning of systems to harvest Prosopis julliflora wood for a gasifier based biomass power plant near Lake Baringo in Kenya
- 2013 to 14 - Interim General Manager and on-going technical advisor for a major new Oil Palm project in Mindinao, Southern Philippines
- 2013 - Team Leader of a DD team for MASDAR Farming undertaking a assignment, on behalf of a consortium of institutional investment funds, looking at the technical suitability of a major Oil Palm rehabilitation and development project in SE Liberia.
- 2012 - Lead member of a three person team undertaking Due Diligence on a US$25 million Biomass to Power power project on behalf of a major commercial bank in Kenya
- 2012 - Undertook a feedstock supply review for a Zambian Biodiesel company, identifying limitations in supply of Jatropha Oil, and suggesting methods to secure alternative feedstocks and enhance Jatropha Oil availability
- 2012 - Successfully prepared a submission to a major Kenyan Bank for a US sustainable industry consultancy to undertake technical due diligence on a $25million "biomass to power" project.
- 2012 - Carried out an assessment of the potential for using Sweet Sorghum as a feedstock in 2nd generation liquid biofuel projects across a number of countries.
- 2012 - Prepared a submission to the Government of Ghana for provision of Sector planning assistance to the Rubber and Oil Palm Sectors on behalf of a major management consultant.
- 2011 – Acted as COO of the Agricultural Operations subsidiary of an innovative Agribusiness investment house.
- 2011 – Undertook a comprehensive review of a multi-million dollar plantation and contract farming operation in Cambodia, recommending major managerial and systems restructuring, whilst acknowledging the sensitive cultural and commercial issues limiting change.
- 2010 - Undertook a study into the potential for developing a large biomass fuel business in Guyana.
- 2010 - Carried out evaluation of the potential to utilize fast growing bamboos and softwoods to fuel two new biomass power plants in Southern India.
- 2010 - Undertook a survey into the potential to utilize low grade biomass to replace oil and gas for heating greenhouses in the UK, following completion of a nationwide biomass & wood pellet market utilization survey.
- 2008 - Carried out a pre-feasibility study for a client contemplating development of a 100,000 ha Jatropha project in Namibia, producing a technical report for investor review.
- 2008 & 9 - Conducted a global business development exercise to identify the potential for a variety of biomass energy projects in the UK, USA, SE Asia, Southern and East Africa.
- 2005 to 8 - Developed a range of low impact agricultural pest and disease control products using novel encapsulation technology and terpene chemistry, through an international network of researchers. After efficacy was proven, oversaw the regulatory submission of the lead product.
- 2004 to 2005 - responsible for Water & Waste regulation in Central Gloucestershire, UK.
- 2002 to 2003 - Conceptualized, planned and began development, of a major strategic diversification and expansion, introducing Oil Palm to a specialist sugar company in Papua New Guinea.
- 1997 to 2003 – Re-organized and modernized agricultural production at a $25 million per annum turnover cane sugar company in Papua New Guinea, dramatically improving yields & unit costs of production.
- 1992 to 1997 - Responsible for planning and implementation of the agricultural component of a US$61 million project to rehabilitate and extend a 6,000 ha abandoned sugar estate and factory complex in Uganda.
- 1987 to 1992 - Co-ordinated a worldwide portfolio of project management contracts, and provided technical assistance, client liaison, general support and marketing services to on-site teams based in:
Tanzania (20,000 ha Sisal rehabilitation project),
Madagascar (300 ha tea estate & factory rehabilitation and marketing project),
Swaziland (Multi-site dam rehabilitation project),
Zambia (Coffee production, processing and marketing company),
Ghana (Irrigation Authority producing fresh vegetables), and
Congo (Re-development of 2 Oil Palm estates and construction of 2 Oil Palm
Also undertook interim management and technical appraisal assignments including:
Interim Chief Executive Ngombezi Sisal Estates (1990) in Tanzania (for 10
Technical Consultancy Team Leader restructuring two Oil Palm developments in
Technical consultancy co-ordinator and report editor, Tanzania Sisal (1989 - 90);
Leader of a team undertaking am Oil Palm rehabilitation study for CFTC near
Enugu in Nigeria (1991).
1986 to 1987 - Operational manager of a potato and vegetable packing company, supplying large UK retail outlets (Tesco, Co-op etc).
1976 to 1986 - Undertook a variety of roles including:
Responsibility for managing an 1800 ha Oil Palm estate producing world's
best yields (Solomon Is);
Developed management accounting systems, and provided interim
management cover for Oil Palm Estate Managers (Papua New Guinea);
Managed a 25 ha Oil Palm Nursery supplying planting material for a 4000 ha per
year planting programme as well as laying down and monitoring a programme
of short and long term trials (PNG);
As an Economic Surveyor took part in an ODA (now DFID) sector planning study
to help restructure Sri Lanka's estate and small farmer based rubber sector;
Responsible for pest and disease control and fruit quality assurance on a Citrus
Basic technical training on a 15,000 ha Oil Palm, Cocoa and Rubber plantation